Friday, April 17, 2015

Am I blind or do I just not want to see?

We are called to see God everywhere, in everyone and in all of creation.  Sister Joan Chittister has not only spoken and written about seeing God, she has also said that we must look for God where we do not expect God to be.  I struggle with finding God at my job and especially in seeing God in my coworkers and one in particular.  I am not sure why I have such a difficult time relating to this person.  Perhaps it is simply because some people just do not get along well and some personalities just do not mesh.

I reflected on this the other night while I was working with this person.  I came to the conclusion that I must be blind!  That must be the reason I cannot see God.  However, when I came home from work and continued to reflect, I was struck with a slightly different thought.  Am I really blind to the image of God in my coworker or am I closing my eyes?

I didn't give that much more thought until I had lunch with Fr. Robert.  He listened as I told this story.  As I was telling him, it occurred to me that maybe it's more than just closing my eyes.  Maybe I am choosing not to see God in this person.  Why is that?  I have always had a tense working relationship with this coworker.  Am I using the difficulty in our work relationship as an excuse to ignore God?

I'm not sure what to do.  Perhaps finding and seeing God means just being polite and respectful when dealing with this person.  Perhaps finding and seeing God does not mean that I must embrace and become close friends or even friends at all, but simply respect the dignity of this person.  Speak kindly when I must speak, and more important, not speak unkindly about the person.

God Bless you and keep you!
Sister Pat, FMT


Holy Mary, Mother of Creation,
bless us that we may experience
God as Love in praise of all creatures,
in love of all of creation. Amen.


Father Michael Adams - www.livingrosaries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment