Saturday, April 11, 2015

"Didn’t you agree to work"

I was reminded of the parable about the workers in the vineyard from Matthew's Gospel earlier in the week while at working.  I was grumbling to myself (as I often do) about what I perceived as being treated unfairly.  The parable deals with workers being hired throughout the day and everyone receiving the same amount of pay regardless of how many hours they worked.  Of course, those who worked the longest were extremely upset at receiving the same amount of money as those who worked the least amount of hours.  The owner of the vineyard asks the disgruntled workers  "Didn't you agree to work for a denarius?" and "Or are you envious of my generosity?" The parable is, of course, about God's generosity, about humility, about being grateful for what we have, rather than envying what others have or receive.

For me, this particular parable was a much needed reminder that I agreed to work at this job.  I understood what my responsibilities were when I accepted the position.  Whatever anyone one else does or does not do, whatever I might think they should or should not do, whatever happens with anyone else really should not have an impact on me because I agreed to work.  I need to focus on doing my job to the best of my abilities.  That must be my only concern.

Life is not fair as my sister pointed out during a conversation I had with her about this problem at work.  But I can choose how I react to the unfairness which I perceive ( some real and some imagined) and do my job!


God Bless you and keep you!
Sister Pat, FMT


Holy Mary, Mother of Creation,
bless us that we may experience
God as Love in praise of all creatures,
in love of all of creation. Amen.


Father Michael Adams - www.livingrosaries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment